This article or section reveals details from the fourth season.
"Chapter One: The Hellfire Club" is the premiere episode of the fourth season of Stranger Things and the twenty-sixth episode overall. It will premiere on May 27, 2022, being the first episode of the first volume.
On September 8, 1979, Martin Brenner prepares for work as he heads to Hawkins National Laboratory. Arriving there, he enters the lab's newly-built Rainbow Room, now full of child experiments. He approaches Ten, playing with a Magic 8 Ball, asking if he's ready for more lessons. Shaking the ball, Ten agrees when it says "All signs point to yes". As they walk through the lab and pass a woman named Dr. Ellis along with another experiment named Six, Brenner and Ten begin their experiments. Brenner first has Ten use his abilities to see what Brenner is drawing on his pad. After succeeding, Brenner then asks if they could do something more challenging by seeing what Dr. Ellis and Six are doing in the other room. Ten sees in a vision Dr. Ellis and Six doing an experiment, but Ten begins to hyperventilate as he says that something is wrong, saying that they're screaming. Suddenly, the lab's alarms begin to go off. As Brenner asks what's happening through the intercom, Ten says that Six and Dr. Ellis are dead. Brenner slowly heads to the door leading to the lab as he hears screams and impacts, when the door bursts off the hinges and hits Brenner, knocking him unconscious. When he awakes, he's horrified to find Ten dead from the impact of the door. As he limps outside, he sees experiments, security guards, and fellow doctors dead and bloodied. When reaching the Rainbow Room, he finds the playroom full of dead children, all except one standing near the broken two-way mirror, breathing heavily. Brenner angrily asks what the experiment has done. The experiment, revealed to be a young Eleven, turns around slowly, with her eyes, nose, and ears dripping with blood.
- Sauna Test - El gets bullied by Angela and her friends; El tries to use her powers again
- The title of the episode was revealed on November 6, 2021, on the occasion of Stranger Things Day.
- In the premiere episode, during Will and Dustin's bike race home, Will says he'll "take his X-Men #134", in which the X-Men retaliate against The Hellfire Club with the Phoenix.
- This is the first season premiere to not have a character's name in the title.
- This is the first season since the second season to explore the fate of the other numbers from Hawkins Lab.
- The episode title is based on Hawkins High School's D&D club, the Hellfire Club.
- The title might be a reference to the The Hellfire Club from Marvel's X-Men comics.
|Episodes of Stranger Things|
|Articles may contain spoilers|