|This article is about the episode. For the inter-dimensional doorway, see Gate.|
PlotFollowing Eleven's surprising return at the Byers house, Eleven and Mike become emotional to finally see each other again. They reunite with a heartfelt embrace, with both of them stating how they missed each other. Upon figuring out that Hopper had been hiding Eleven the whole time, Mike confronts Hopper in anger and blames him, though they quickly reconcile.
While Eleven reunites with her friends, she reveals to Joyce that she knows about Will's sufferings and that, the only way to defeat the Mind Flayer is to close the Gate. As Eleven assures Hopper that she can close the Gate, Mike points out that it may kill the whole Mind Flayer's army, Will included. The group then formulates a plan. Joyce, Jonathan, and Nancy plan to force the Mind Flayer out of Will by exposing him to extreme heat. While they do that, Eleven and Hopper plan to head to Hawkins Lab to close the Gate. Before going, Eleven promises Mike that he will not lose her again.
While Hopper and Eleven were en route to the lab, Eleven reveals that she visited her mother but admits that she shouldn't have left. Hopper apologizes to Eleven and regrets for lying about her mother. He tells her that it's all his fault and that he is sorry for everything he forced on her, because he thought he would lose Eleven just like he'd lost his daughter. They both hold their hands and forgive each other.
Dustin, Lucas, Mike, and Max are left at the Byers house under Steve's supervision. As Mike is concerned about Eleven and warns them that the Lab is swarming with too many Demodogs, the kids all agree to create a distraction by burning the tunnels and drawing the Demodogs away from the Gate, giving Eleven and Hopper enough time to close the Gate. But Steve rebuffs it and refuses.Billy arrives at the Byers house looking for Max and briefly fights with Steve. Eventually, Billy in turn, is sedated by Max. The kids take Billy's car and head for the tunnels with an unconscious Steve. Even though Steve protests, the kids enter the tunnels and Dustin manages to convince Steve to help them. Reaching the tunnels, they head in and soak the place in gasoline and then start burning it, causing the Demodogs to come after them, but leaving the Gate clear for Hopper and Eleven, also affecting Will as well. On the way out, they encounter Dart; Dustin calms him long enough for them all to pass by unharmed.
Meanwhile, Hopper and Eleven reach the labs, finding everyone massacred by the Demodogs, and encounter Dr. Owens who is severely injured. As Hopper patches him up, Dr. Owens becomes surprised to see Eleven. Hopper reveals that he has been protecting her for about a year and convinces Dr. Owens to help her lead a normal life after everything she's doing to save everybody's lives.
Joyce, Jonathan and Nancy expose Will to extreme heat at the Hopper cabin, who under the Mind Flayer's control, unconsciously starts choking his mother, before Nancy burns his hand with a fire poker.Reaching the basement of the Lab, Hopper and Eleven witness the lights flickering and hear the sound of Demodogs. Hopper requests her to stay back and as he prepares to attack the swarming Demodogs, he and Eleven are surprised to see them flee away.
Jonathan informs Hopper that the Mind Flayer is successfully expelled from Will. Hearing the news, Hopper and Eleven took down the elevator to reach the Gate.Appearing before the Gate which has grown even gigantic, Eleven starts using her powers in order to close it. The Mind Flayer senses her strength and sends all the Demodogs to attack her. Hopper defends Eleven from the swarming Demodogs as she closes the Gate, remembering all the trauma she went through to empower herself to seal the Gate.
Despite the Mind Flayer's attempts, Eleven successfully channels her strength and closes the portal she opened, ending the threat of the Upside Down once and for all, as well as killing all the remaining Demodogs in the process. Hopper embraces and commends her for her bravery as they both return.A month later, Murray Bauman watches as Hawkins lab is shut down in the wake of the revelations. Barb is given a proper funeral. Hopper meets with Dr. Owens who gives him a forged birth certificate for Eleven, which says she is officially Hopper's daughter now, though he reminds Hopper to wait a while to be safe. Hopper eventually convinces Dr. Owens to give Eleven a night out. Snow Ball. Max and Lucas dance and so does Will with another girl, and Nancy feeling pity for Dustin, dances with him. Mike and Eleven reunite again, keeping their promises, and they dance, sharing a kiss.
While the kids enjoy the school dance, in the Upside Down, the Mind Flayer appears to be still alive, surviving the assault of the Gate, and is looming over the school.
- Joyce Byers - Winona Ryder
- Jim Hopper - David Harbour
- Mike Wheeler - Finn Wolfhard
- Eleven - Millie Bobby Brown
- Dustin Henderson - Gaten Matarazzo
- Lucas Sinclair - Caleb McLaughlin
- Will Byers - Noah Schnapp
- Max Mayfield - Sadie Sink
- Nancy Wheeler - Natalia Dyer
- Jonathan Byers - Charlie Heaton
- Steve Harrington - Joe Keery
- Billy Hargrove - Dacre Montgomery
- Karen Wheeler - Cara Buono
- Bob Newby - Sean Astin (credit only)
- Dr. Sam Owens - Paul Reiser
- Mrs. Sinclair - Karen Ceesay
- Erica Sinclair - Priah Ferguson
- Scott Clarke - Randy Havens
- Dr. Martin Brenner - Matthew Modine
- Murray Bauman - Brett Gelman
- Kali - Linnea Berthelsen
- Claudia Henderson - Catherine Curtin
- Mr. Holland - Aaron Munoz
- Mrs. Holland - Cynthia Barrett
- Susan Hargrove - Jennifer Marshall
- Ted Wheeler - Joe Chrest
- Stacey - Sydney Bullock
- TV Reporter - Orelon Sidney
- "The Way We Were" by Barbra Streisand - Mrs. Wheeler is interrupted by the doorbell.
- "I Do Believe (I Fell in Love)" by Donna Summer - When Mrs. Wheeler gives Billy the directions to the Byers house.
- "I See Charcoal (You See Scarlet)" by Cameron Brooks - Steve and Billy fight as the kids watch.
- "Rare Bird" by Tangerine Dream - When the military locks up and closes Hawkins Lab.
- "Jingle Bell Rock" by Bobby Helms - Everyone getting ready for the Snow Ball.
- "Love is a Battlefield" by Pat Benatar - Steve dropping Dustin at the Snow Ball.
"Twist of Fate" by Olivia Newton-John - Steve stares at Nancy in the school hall as he prepares to drive off.
- "Time After Time" by Cyndi Lauper - Hopper comforts Joyce's grief by sharing cigarette.
"Every Breath You Take" by The Police - When Eleven makes it to the Snow Ball and Mike dances with her.
- "What Else Did You See?" - Joyce asking El what she saw in her visions when checking Will.
- "Symptoms" - The group plans to save Will by forcing the Mind Flayer out.
- "Shouldn't Have Lied" - Eleven and Hopper talking in the truck on the way to the lab.
- "The Hub" - When the kids reach the Hive Mind and begin soaking the tunnel in petrol.
- "Never Tell" - When Hopper finds Dr. Owens severely injured and suggests him to help Eleven to lead a normal life after everything she's done for everybody's safety.
- "Escape" - Eleven remembers her past trauma and begins channeling her anger. Steve and the kids escape the tunnels.
- "Levitation"- When Eleven channels her strength and closes the Mind Flayer's Gate.
- "Crib" - Will is saved and is given a hug by his mother and brother.
- "To Be Continued" - The very final scene turns upside down and the Mind Flayer is shown to be alive.
Behind the Scenes
One of the things the Duffers wanted for the season finale was to pull off the story lines climax of all the subplots simultaneously, a challenge they couldn't perfectly overcome the previous season. The hardest part for them was to build the story lines at almost the same pace. "That’s the final challenge: getting them to crescendo at the same time and making it clear how one story line is affecting another story line," Ross stated. In the end, they managed to pull it off with a three-part climax and ending it on a happier note with the Snowball.
As told by Matt, the reunion of Mike and Eleven at the beginning was Finn and Millie's first scene together this season and the duo did a great job to make the scene feel powerful. For Mike and Hopper's confrontation, the Duffers wanted their performances to be akin to an argument scene of Almost Famous, and Matt liked the end result saying that, "Finn was really hitting him as hard as he could."
The sequence with Hopper, Eleven and the Demodogs at the lab; the kids at the tunnels and Will at the cabin were all interconnected with each other and had to be mostly rendered by visual effects. So there was almost nothing there when the Duffers began editing. The 30-45 seconds sequence took them atleast 20 hours to edit.
The showdown featuring Eleven and Hopper fighting the Mind Flayer was the only scene in the show which didn't have anything practical. Visual-effects producers Paul & Graff explained that the sequence took them a day and a half because the entire environment had to be modeled out and they had to storyboard the scenes frame by frame. It was also very difficult for Millie and David with Matt explaining, "We were lifting Millie in the air, David’s firing a shotgun that’s loud, the cage is shaking back and forth, and Millie thought she was about to throw up". Nevertheless, they were very happy with how the sequence turned out.
|For this subject's gallery, see The Gate (episode)/Gallery.|
- On August 31, 2016, the second season was announced through a trailer published across social media, listing the titles of the nine episodes. However, because the titles were not in order, it is difficult to determine which one belonged to this episode. The official title of the episode, "The Gate", was revealed on October 27.
- Mike takes Eleven to the Snow Ball school dance, which he promised to take her to in the season one finale.
- This is the final time in the series that Sean Astin and Paul Reiser are listed as being part of the main cast.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 "The Duffer Brothers Recap Stranger Things 2 Finale, ‘Chapter 9: The Gate’" Vulture. November 10, 2017.
- ↑ "Emmy Contender: Stranger Things 3D-printed Demodog heads"SYFY August 23, 2018.
|Episodes of Stranger Things|
|Articles may contain spoilers|