The Snow Ball was a festive school dance held annually at Hawkins Middle School.
On November 12, Mike Wheeler told Eleven about the Snow Ball. He called the dance "cheesy" and stated that he had never gone, but decided to attend for the first time after meeting Eleven. He invited Eleven to be his partner to the Ball and she accepted. Late that night, Eleven vanished after fighting the Demogorgon, so neither Mike nor Eleven attended the 1983 Snow Ball.
On December 15, Mike, Dustin, Lucas and Will went to the Snow Ball. Eleven, who had been invited by Mike the previous year, also attended for the first time. Lucas danced with Max. Dustin tried to find a partner, but was rejected. Nancy, seeing Dustin's rejection, invited Dustin to dance with her. Will danced with an unknown girl. Eleven and Mike danced together to the song "Every Breath You Take" by The Police. Lucas and Max kissed, as did Mike and Eleven. Jonathan was taking pictures, as the ball’s photographer.
Behind the Scenes
According to Tim Ives, the Snow Ball dance would have had snowflakes falling "as a magical moment", but the performances of the kids convinced the crew that they didn't need any snow, noting that it was "so rock solid" .
- The Snow Ball dance at the end of Season 2 was one of the first things the Duffers had already mapped out when they began planning for the season, with the two agreeing they "knew that it was the destination they were going to go."
- Mike and Eleven's reunion was originally not until the Snow Ball at the end of the second season, but this was changed in the final version.
- For the kiss between Mike and Eleven at the Snow Ball dance, actor Finn Wolfhard tried to warn Millie Bobby Brown by whispering "I'm coming in" to get the exact timing, a moment that can also be seen in the final edit.
- Season 1 Chapter 8: "The Upside Down"
- Season 2 Chapter 9: "The Gate"
- "‘Stranger Things’ DP Tim Ives on 80s References, the Snow Ball, and “Fresh and Fun” Season 3" Collider. June 13, 2018.
- "11 Insights Into the Making of Stranger Things 2"
- ‘Stranger Things 2’ Producers on Shooting the Snow Ball