Joe Keery grew up in Newburyport, Massachusetts where he attended River Valley Charter School for elementary and middle school then attended Newburyport High School. He is the second of five children and grew up surrounded by sisters. He began acting in high school, performing there initially at his sister's insistence. Keery went on to study at The Theatre School at DePaul University and graduated in 2014.
After graduating from DePaul, Keery went to over a hundred auditions. Before his breakout role in Stranger Things, Keery appeared in a KFC and Domino's commercial and had roles in Empire and Chicago Fire. His first appearance in a full-length film was in Stephen Cone's indie, Henry Gamble's Birthday Party. He was promoted from recurring cast to a series regular for the second season of Stranger Things, which premiered on October 27th 2017.
Aside from acting, Keery is also a musician. He is a guitarist/vocalist for Chicago-based garage and psych-rock band Post Animal. Their debut full-length album was released in October 2015.
Previously, Keery released music under the name "Cool Cool Cool".
|2015||Henry Gamble's Birthday Party||Gabe|
|2016||The Charnel House||Scott|
|2019||How to Be Alone||Jack|
|2015||Empire||Tony Trichter III|
|2016-present||Stranger Things||Steve Harrington|
- His full name is Joseph David Keery.
- He has 4 sisters.
- His sister insisted for him to become an actor.
- Beside from acting, Keery is also a musician.
- He's not related to Ben Schwartz.
- He initially auditioned for the role of Jonathan, but later sent in a tape for his character Steve.
- He filled the role of Ferris Bueller from Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) in a Domino’s Pizza commercials.
|Cast and crew of Stranger Things|
|Major Cast Members|
|Recurring/Minor Cast Members|