This article or section reveals details from the fourth season.
|This article is about the "Dungeons & Dragons" club. For the episode, see The Hellfire Club (episode).|
In March 1984, Eddie, serving as Dungeon Master, created and hosted the "The Cult of Vecna" campaign. Shortly after this, a string of horrific murders were committed around Hawkins by an unknown person. Dustin and his friends, inspired by Eddie's campaign, dubbed the murderer "Vecna".
Jason Carver, another Hawkins High student, believed Eddie was responsible for the killings, and espoused his view that Hellfire was a Satanic cult. This narrative took hold amongst the townspeople, and following Eddie's death, news outlets falsely depicted him as a cult leader.
The Hellfire Club seems to operate the bottom of the Hawkins High food chain, due to the unique misfortunes experienced in the town due to the Upside Down and the tabloid media fear of Satanic/demonic worship among teenagers. As implied by Eddie, members are typically scouted out if they are "lost sheep" or outsiders. Eddie also implied membership came with a degree of protection, but demanded loyalty to campaign nights. Members of club both create and wear white raglan shirts with black long sleeves, finished with the Hellfire Club name and logo on the center.
Hellfire Club is hosted in a drama/theatre room, as evidenced by the stage lights, curtains and props seen around them during game night.
- Eddie Munson † - Head
- Gareth - Member
- Jeff - Member
- Mike Wheeler - Member
- Dustin Henderson - Member
- Lucas Sinclair - Member
- Erica Sinclair - Substitute Member
- Freak 1 - Member
- The name of the Hellfire Club has double origins: it's true historical counterpart was a 18th century club for immoral men (rakes) to partake in activities related poetry, philosophy and politics, but popularly rumored to also include immoral acts.
- In the 1980's, Marvel Comics took inspiration from a 1960's British spy series, the Avengers, which depicted a fictional version of the club. The Marvel Comics Hellfire Club is a group of highly powerful and elite mutants. Given the time of publication and the passing reference to the Dark Phoenix Saga, it's likely that the Hawkins Hellfire Club took their name from the Marvel Comics iteration.
- According to costume designer Amy Parris, the shirt design was researched by existing 80's D&D groups: the white base and the black sleeves is a popular choice in club shirts.